How may Nanotechnology be used for Autoimmunity?
-The small stature of nanoparticles gives it a certain advantage; they can maneuver through the body easily and give medicine in smaller, controlled doses
- The advanced nature of nanotechnology allows it to be controlled or engineered to complete a task within the body
- There are two methods for treating the symptoms of autoimmune diseases with nanotechnology: immunostimulation and immunosuppression
- Immunostimulation is when nanoparticles stimulate T-cells, creating more- The increased presence of T-cells improves immune function which will decrease the severity of the symptoms
- Immunosuppression on the other hand works by calming down overactive T-cells
- Sometimes, the immune system is overactive which causes it to consider every agent harmful
- The picture above shows the various pros and cons for both of these methods